Meg Munching Moussaka-100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die-
My #18 munch or #83 on the countdown of 100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die has brought me to a visit at Nabeel’s to try their Moussaka.
Nabeel’s Café’ and Market is located on the outskirts of Birmingham in beautiful Homewood, Alabama. For over 20 years, Nabeel’s was a market that sold Mediterranean products, and was purchased by the Krontiras family; he from Southern Greece and she from Northern Italy. This couple began their business to fulfill a need for a family café with authentic Mediterranean foods and a friendly market for authentic Mediterranean products.
The restaurant walls have many framed awards attesting to the love this community has for the food. There are two dishes from Nabeel’s on The 100 List”
The interior is spacious.
The menu is large with choices of both Greek and Italian. I loved the appetizer menu, and could have eaten each and every item. Hummus, dips and baked cheeses-Yes please. However, I was here for the Moussaka star.
My dish came with a small starter salad served with a slice of bread. Crisp with a few olives, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and real feta cheese. The Greek dressing was unique. It was sweet yet savory. I liked it. I note that the dressing is sold in the restaurant and and market. I found in the reviews that fans of this dressing do stock up when they visit.
Nabeel’s offers this Mediterranean inspired Moussaka casserole, layered first with sautéed eggplant, sautéed ground beef and onions and topped with a thick layer of creamy béchamel over top, and garnished with tomato fondue.The Moussaka portion was average, about the size of a card deck. It was light and tasty with that hint of cinnamon and Kasseri cheese.
I read many reviews on this restaurant. I want to point out one fact that may address a few negative reviews. Moussaka is usually served warm not piping hot. The rationale is that this dish needs resting time to set up so if you ask them to warm it, it may even separate. I am not a chef but I think it helps when we know what to expect.
MEGastars; I give this dish 4 ****
- One MEGastar * for; prompt courteous service, great menu, interesting décor and a clean enough atmosphere.
- Two MEGastars ** for an interesting tasty bite.
- One MEGastar * I give my 4th MEGastar for dishes that meet the criteria set forth by Alabama Tourism; local food with Alabama style. I do not know if Nabeel’s uses local foods. However, I do feel that this family cafe and market take pride in community, and for that I applaud and award them with a 4th Thanks to Nabeel’s for bringing Mediterranean foods to Alabama!
- Don’t miss the market. Small but packs in some great stuff to make your Mediterranean inspired dishes. Dried herbs and specialty oils, candies, meats and cheeses and pre-made foods for your carry out enjoyment. Loved it!
- Minutes from I-65, this is an easy stop for on off 100 Dish folks.
- Leave some room for the appetizers and the Baklava.
- Love that salad dressing, stock up!
- Check out Nabeel’s recipes on their website. Thanks for sharing!