A Mighty Fine Dining Experience in Birmingham, Alabama Chez Fonfon
Tasty Tuesday at Chez Fonfon in Birmingham, Alabama.
A few weeks ago I posted about desserts at Chez Fon-fon, my 86th dish on my quest to try all of the dishes from the Alabama Tourism list 100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die. Death and Rebirth – 100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die-Desserts at Chez Fonfon It has been a blast to try dishes from this list. I am truly grateful to Alabama Tourism and the fantastic chefs of Alabama who have shown me excellence through their love of food. Because of my visit to Che Fon-fon, my standards will never again be the same; the bar has been raised. I want to share my experience at Chez Fonfon with my followers and will return to my 100 Dishes quest week. A special thank you to my loyal Alabama followers, I hope that you enjoy this post.
Likely I can count on one hand, the number of times that I have ever tasted any dessert made by a James Beard nominee. Had it not been for this Alabama list, I may never have eaten at Chez Fonfon and certainly, I likely would not have eaten dessert; missing out on some of the best sweets of my life. Tasting the desserts made by one such nominee, Chef Dolester Miles helped expand my understanding of culinary excellence.
Yes, I was bewitched by the antique buffet that displayed a few of the magnificent desserts. However,
it was that cheese board that had me at hello. Instead of making room for dessert, I was making room for that cheese.
The cheeses that are chosen at Chez Fon-fon were on spot and get my MEG-A approval even though they were not from my home state.
Served with walnuts and fresh baked artisanal bread of a few delicious varieties.
The Cheese Plate from photo 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock
- Alpha Tolman Cheese – This cheese is an American cheese that is semi-hard and made from cow’s milk in the Alpine cheese style. This is a solid choice with Jasper Hill of Vermont having been a winner in the World Cheese Competitions (2012). *See below for MEGapick.
- Green Hill Cheese – from Sweet Grass Dairy in Georgia, U.S.A. This one was my favorite of the three kinds of cheese on the plate. Having never tasted this cheese before, I described it as super creamy, buttery, and like brie but more mellow. When I read up on this cheese, this is exactly how it had been described. I loved the thin white rind. One of my new favorite cheeses. Thanks, Chez Fonfon.
- Fourme D’Ambert – This is another cow cheese and was my second favorite cheese from this plate. I call “Fourme D’Ambert” a gateway drug to blue cheese. If it is not too mature, it is creamy and mild. I, like many people, did not go hard on blue cheese for years and now, I can’t live without it. A solid choice for a restaurant.
Being that Wisconsin girl, I am a self-professed cheese snob that loves to try a cheese plate when I visit a restaurant that offers their version/choices of great cheese. I am a tough sell. On this note, I have a cheese for you to try and a few tips.
- At the 2016 World Cheese Festival, the #1 Championship Cheese, Roth Grand Cru Surchoix was from the Roth Cheese people in Fitchburg, Wisconsin. With a rating of 9.882 be assured that this is great cheese. MEGatip-Want to re-live your cheese moments from that visit to the Alpine Mountains of Europe? Never been to the European Alpines? Do taste this cheese, it is one of my personal favorites and is award winning year after year. Roth Cheese Multi-award winning Grand Gru Surchoix Cheese
- Wisconsin cheese annually ranks with the cheeses of Europe by being voted as the best in the world. MEGatip-View the ranking of the best cheese as chosen by ranking from the top experts in the world. 2016 World Championship Cheese Contest
From the menu. I tried a salad made with mixed greens, potato, and pork. I inadvertently ordered this salad but did enjoy it. The greens were delicious. Bacon lovers would love the gourmet bacon.
I was curious about the Scallops with kumquats, capers &a cauliflower purée. This dish shocked me in a good way. Although I love scallops and cauliflower, I am not crazy over capers and I could not fathom the cauliflower puree coupled with scallops. I have to say that these were some of the best scallops that I have ever eaten and are only next to scallops that I tried on the west coast of Ireland. Right on Birmingham, Alabama and the Chef Stitt and staff!
Of course, there was the dish that I was there to try. The desserts!
When I wrote my post on Chez Fonfon, I was attempting to establish why I thought that Chez Fonfon captured the essence of a French cafe’. Later, I noticed that I made an error on the following two photos. I took the photos in Pierrefonds France and not Lyons. Trust me, these two places are quite different. My bad. I will post about my visit to this quaint French town on Friday.
I highly recommend this restaurant to my Alabama residents and visitors. I absolutely loved my visit to Chez Fonfon and those desserts were truly “icing on the cake.” This visit exceeded my expectations and will haunt my dreams of perfect restaurant experiences throughout my living years and perhaps beyond.
- Chef Frank Stitt, his wife Paradis, and the entire crew are worthy of their many accolades and awards including James Beard. Bring your company to any one of the three Stitt establishments and you are sure to impress. Read more about their story here from one of my past visits to Highland Grill, which was probably the number one restaurant experience of my life thus far. The link for Highlands Bar and Grill visit.Highland Baked Grits-100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die
- Link for desserts at Chez Fonfon. Death and Rebirth – 100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die-Desserts at Chez Fonfon
- Located at 2007 Eleventh Avenue South in Birmingham, Alabama
- Hours of operation Tue-Thursday 11 a.m. To 10 p.m. Saturday 4:30. – 10:30 Closed Sunday and Mondays.
- From jeans to black tie attire, the dress code is casual. The website states “but a little Parisian chic never hurts.” Clever!
- No reservations are taken. I visited at 2 p.m. and the cafe was busy but I was able to secure a table quickly.
- I do recommend trying food from their menu and saving room for the dessert.
- Cake lover? That coconut cake was outstanding, an experience!
- Wonderful link to the Chez Fonfon website. Chez Fonfon in Birmingham, Alabama