That Time I Put Some Ooh-La-La In My Morning – Mon Amie of Spartanburg, S.C. 46 Best Restaurants in 46 S.C. Counties
What’s up Meg?
I’m on a South Carolina food journey to chow down at the best restaurant in each of the 46 counties while seeking the Top 100 Food Dishes To Eat In South Carolina While Alive, Or, Before Dead, Whichever Comes First.
Tasty Tuesday – This visit to Spartanburg County’s Mon Amie is the third blog on my quest to try the best restaurant in each of the 46 South Carolina Counties. 
Located on the East edge of Spartanburg along the main drag, Mon Amie is located in a sunny yellow building with black and white accents over the outdoor patio.
I have visited Mon Amie several times and I prefer to sit outdoors. However, as I write this blog, winter is still hanging on a bit in the South.
At Mon Amie, there is a breakfast menu, a lunch menu, and a dessert menu. I have tasted food from all of these menus, and it is one of those places that you visit and can’t decide on the varying options because everything sounds delicious. Described as “upscale destination for breakfast and lunch,” I would tend to agree that the food is not basic Waffle House.Why?
To begin with, one of their specialties would be crepes. Serving both sweet and savory, they are a treat not to be missed. Since I have visited many times, pictured below are several that I have personally tasted.
Meyer Lemon and Blueberry Crepe that is filled with sweet Meyer Lemon cream, with fresh blueberries, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, and topped off with a lemon glaze. What is NOT to love about this crepe?
Such as 2 eggs, Monterey Jack & cheddar cheese, crumbled SC sausage, with Honey Dijon Sauce
ne parle pas français? Don’t speak crepes? No worries, the menu has pancakes, traditional breakfast, healthy menus, and for me, egg dishes such as this delish smoked salmon benedict, beginning with a toasted English muffin topped with cream cheese, a spread of capers, red onion, and dill, smoked salmon & poached eggs. Finished with hollandaise sauce. Served with home potatoes or stone ground grits
Yep, they have healthy options including salads. Of course, even the side salad is taken up a notch, with a croissant and their house-made dressings. And, get a look at these plates and coffee mugs. Magnifique!
Seasoned Ahi tuna, french green beans, hard boiled egg, tomato, Yukon Gold Potatoes, Kalamata olive, and hot chow-chow on top of a bed of fresh greens.(I passed on the chow-chow.)
And of course, they don’t monkey around with their coffee. I love their house coffee but they also French press and Café’ DuMonde coffee. Like hootch in the morning? They have a selection of adult beverages fit for the uptown girls.
Yes, Mon Amie put some ooh-La-La in my morning with an above average food experience, a variety of menu items, bakery goods, and delicious coffee. Oh, and Mon Amie translates out to a friend of the girl type, don’t worry my man friends, Mon Ami, this stop is also a hangout for you.
MEGastars 4 ****
For an above average breakfast menu, coffee, and crepes this gets my ooh-la-la.
Downside-The hours, long wait times, shared tables-experienced one visit, and a few meh food experiences (interestingly, both poor dishes were not from the breakfast menu.)
- MEGapick Although, I am not a sweet morning person, they say, I would chose the Meyer Lemon Blueberry Crepe.
- Do note that on weekends, you may experience a long wait time. I recommend a weekday, which brings me to my next two tips.
- They conveniently have a shop next to the restaurant for your inconvenient wait time.
- *Unusual hours- Open Wednesday-Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. See their website for any other details necessary. The website is for the cafe’ and the shop. Mon Amie Cafe
- Spartanburg County has two restaurants on the 46 County list, join me next Tuesday as I visit The Farmer’s Table in Spartanburg.
- Breakfast is served all day with lunch beginning at 10:30.
- Have your canine friend? Another pet-friendly restaurant when the outdoor patio is open. Mulligan thanks, Mon Amie!
ABOUT: This MEGabites and MEGastars description is found at the bottom of each post and may be helpful if you are new to my food escapades.
*100 Dishes To Eat In South Carolina While Alive or Before You Die, Whichever Comes First.” is my compilation of food to chow down on “Carolina style.” It is my S.C. Food Bucket List and you may follow as I chow down like Ms. Pacman in another gorgeous state that I call home.  I am loosely following Snacks of Jax 2016 46 County Best Restaurant List as a guide. From the Mom and Pop diner to the James Beard Chef, this journey is an opportunity for me to explore my new state and experience pride in food from restaurateurs who are dedicated to local food. From my bucket list, I select stops based on convenience of location and they are in no particular order (but I already have a few favorites.)  http://www.snacksofjax.com
I use a 5 MEGastar rating system. For the most part, I am traveling a distance to try these dishes and generally, the experience gets one shot at how I view the food. I factor this in using my own star system so that I may be fair to the wonderful dishes and people behind them. I’m very easy to please, I can overlook quite a bit and have worked in the foodservice industry.
- *Meh food. Just wasn’t good. Maybe the food came from a can? Or, the place was not one that I would want to send someone to show pride in South Carolina. This has happened to me a few times and is always a difficult write.
- ** Passable – the food was “ok” but the place was not “ok” or vice versa.
- *** Good but not outstanding or unique.
- **** Very tasty food with an above average experience.
- ***** I actually died, went to heaven and came back when I ate the dish. And/Or, something is very unique, something you cannot get anywhere else.
 Snacks of Jax Snacksofjax.com 2016 46 Best County Restaurant List