I Found My Soul Cake In South Carolina
What’s New With Meg?
Having reached my goal of 100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die, I’m now on a South Carolina food journey to chow down at the best restaurant in each of the 46 S.C. counties, while seeking the Top 100 Food Dishes To Eat In South Carolina While Alive, Or, Before Dead, Whichever Comes First.
Why This Stop?
Oprah Winfrey knows stuff. She is a wise soul. When I learned that coconut cake from Carolyn’s Cakes in Spartanburg was placed on Oprah’s Favorite Things List 2017, I wanted a taste.
Tasty Tuesday with Caroline’s Cakes of Spartanburg South Carolina.
The past two weeks, I have blogged about the fantastic foods that I tried at the Hub City Hog Fest in Spartanburg S.C., including chicken wings and mustard hash. However, if by fate, I found THAT cake.
Oprah has been quoted as saying that this cake returned her to her childhood in Mississippi. I thought it was delicious. 5 MEGastars **** delicious. For me, it reminded me of wedding cake that was not too sweet, just perfect.
Fortunately, I was with other people and got a few bites of other flavors. Chocolate love. 4 MEGastars.
In 2011, Oprah’s BFF, Gayle King in O-Magazine, chose Caroline’s Caramel Cake as one of her “Favorite Things” for the holiday’s. Not to be outdone by Oprah or Gayle, this cake was also featured on the table in a scene of the movie The Help.
“…Soul meets soul on lovers lips…” -Percy Bysshe Shelley
Meg, meet caramel cake, caramel cake meet Meg
I did not mean to dishonor this cake with this photo. I mean this cake is regal, perfectly over the top sweet melt in your mouth deliciousness. It should be served on fine china, and I should be wearing a crown.
Although I greatly admire Oprah, I’m going to go with her BFF Gayle and choose that caramel cake for my best of the best!
5 MEGastars. ****
I also tasted these cake pops and did not share with anyone else. Likely, the best cake pops that I have ever tasted. were 5 MEGastar *****
Caroline’s Cakes MEGastars 5 *****
- The website for Caroline’s Cakes. Yes, they ship cakes nationwide. and I would serve this cake for royalty. Caroline’s Cakes
- Caroline’s Cakes may be found for sale by the slice at Bellew’s Market in Spartanburg. 240 Garner Rd, Spartanburg, SC 29303 Closed on Sundays. Open from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Mon-Saturday.
- Featured in magazines, TV shows such as Food Network and The Today Show where Giada De Laurentiis and Hoda Kotb professed their love for this cake.
- Link to video of this cake. Caroline’s Cakes
ABOUT: This MEGabites and MEGastars description is found at the bottom of each post and may be helpful if you are new to my food escapades. Having made it to 100 Dishes on Alabama’s 100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die, I began a new quest in South Carolina.
*100 Dishes To Eat In South Carolina While Alive or Before You Die, Whichever Comes First.” is my compilation of food to chow down on “Carolina style.” It is my S.C. Food Bucket List and you may follow as I chow down like Ms. Pacman in another gorgeous state that I call home.  I am loosely following Snacks of Jax 2016 46 County Best Restaurant List as a guide. From the Mom and Pop diner to the James Beard Chef, this journey is an opportunity for me to explore my new state and experience pride in food from restaurateurs who are dedicated to local food. From my bucket list, I select stops based on convenience of location and they are in no particular order (but I already have a few favorites.)  http://www.snacksofjax.com
I use a 5 MEGastar rating system. For the most part, I am traveling a distance to try these dishes and generally, the experience gets one shot at how I view the food. I factor this in using my own star system so that I may be fair to the wonderful dishes and people behind them. I’m very easy to please, I can overlook quite a bit and have worked in the foodservice industry.
- *Meh food. Just wasn’t good. Maybe the food came from a can? Or, the place was not one that I would want to send someone to show pride in South Carolina. This has happened to me a few times and is always a difficult write.
- ** Passable – the food was “ok” but the place was not “ok” or vice versa.
- *** Good but not outstanding or unique.
- **** Very tasty food with an above average experience.
- ***** I actually died, went to heaven and came back when I ate the dish. And/Or, something is very unique, something you cannot get anywhere else.
 Snacks of Jax Snacksofjax.com 2016 46 Best County Restaurant List