3.14159… Reasons That Pi-Squared Pizza Is My Favorite Pizza In The Carolinas
What’s New With Meg?
Having reached my goal of 100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die, I’m now on a South Carolina food journey to chow down at the best restaurant in each of the 46 S.C. counties, while seeking the Top 100 Food Dishes To Eat In South Carolina While Alive, Or, Before Dead, Whichever Comes First.
Tasty Tuesday at Pi-Squared for their fantastic Detroit Style Pizza.
Why This Stop?
These may be fighting words but, so far, this is my favorite pizza place in South Carolina. Pi-Squared has two styles of pizza and one of them is particularly outstanding; the Detroit Style Square Pizza.
I have written about this type of pizza before. My hands-down favorite is made in Madison, Wisconsin at Lucille’s. They do this thing with an outstanding beer that is reserved for Wisconsinites-New Glarus Beer only sold in Wisconsin. You can read more about their pizza here. One Day of Gluttony in Madison Wisconsin
There are several ways that the square Detroit-style pizza is a pizza lovers dream.
In short, the crust is thicker with a crunch due to the type of steel pan, along with a high heat; give this a “blistery delicate crust.” The cheese that pours over the side of this angled pan then caramelizes, giving this pizza its signature flavor and unique crunch while leaving the interior crust light and airy.
Not like a Chicago style pizza, the cheese is put at the bottom, and toppings are placed, last, of all, the sauce is poured on top.
Equally, I love the thin crust pizza at Pi-Squared and have never tasted their gluten-free crust.
Of the three locations, my favorite is the newest location at Drayton Mills. Located in a complex of former textile mills, the place has touches of the old seen in the brick, the wood floors, and the décor.
There is also seating outdoors overlooking a pond.
I lived in the adjacent and fantastic loft apartments for a while, unfortunately, or fortunate for my waistline, PI-Squared had not yet been open. One location is in Boiling Springs, and one location is in the gorgeous Hendersonville, N.C.
MEGastars – 4 **** I love their crust, love it. I do find the sauce to be a bit too sweet for my taste. All of the ingredients are described as high quality and the end product reflects this great pizza!
- The website link for Pi-Squared will answer your questions regarding locations, hours, and menu. The information link took me to photos that made me salivate and I needed to click on the locations in the upper right corner to bring me to each store.
- If you are not a pizza lover, the menu includes sub sandwiches, wings, and salads.
- At this stage of my life, the small Detroit-style pizza is about two meals for me, at least. Just know that this za will be ample.
- Spartanburg location 1802 Drayton Rd. 864-586-2525 This location does have a delivery service.
- The Boiling Springs location is at 2640 Boiling Springs Rd. 864-586-1793 This location also has delivery.
- The Hendersonville, N.C. 1972 Haywood Rd. Hendersonville N.C. 828-693-0799 This location also has delivery available.
ABOUT: This MEGabites and MEGastars description is found at the bottom of each post and may be helpful if you are new to my food escapades. Having made it to 100 Dishes on Alabama’s 100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die, I began a new quest in South Carolina.
*100 Dishes To Eat In South Carolina While Alive or Before You Die, Whichever Comes First.” is my compilation of food to chow down on “Carolina style.” It is my S.C. Food Bucket List and you may follow as I chow down like Ms. Pacman in another gorgeous state that I call home.  I am loosely following Snacks of Jax 2016 46 County Best Restaurant List as a guide. From the Mom and Pop diner to the James Beard Chef, this journey is an opportunity for me to explore my new state and experience pride in food from restaurateurs who are dedicated to local food. From my bucket list, I select stops based on convenience of location and they are in no particular order (but I already have a few favorites.)  http://www.snacksofjax.com
I use a 5 MEGastar rating system. For the most part, I am traveling a distance to try these dishes and generally, the experience gets one shot at how I view the food. I factor this in using my own star system so that I may be fair to the wonderful dishes and people behind them. I’m very easy to please, I can overlook quite a bit and have worked in the foodservice industry.
- *Meh food. Just wasn’t good. Maybe the food came from a can? Or, the place was not one that I would want to send someone to show pride in South Carolina. This has happened to me a few times and is always a difficult write.
- ** Passable – the food was “ok” but the place was not “ok” or vice versa.
- *** Good but not outstanding or unique.
- **** Very tasty food with an above average experience.
- ***** I actually died, went to heaven and came back when I ate the dish. And/Or, something is very unique, something you cannot get anywhere else.
 Snacks of Jax Snacksofjax.com 2016 46 Best County Restaurant List