What’s up with Meg on Tasty Tuesday?
I am on a South Carolina food journey to chow down at the best restaurant in each of the 46 counties while seeking the Top 100 Food Dishes To Eat In South Carolina While Alive, Or, Before Dead, Whichever Comes First. And, I’m writing about it in short weekly-ish blogs.
Why This stop?
This stop falls in the category of seeking the best food dishes SC has to offer. This past summer, I happened upon a burger cookoff in Spartanburg, S.C., and my favorite burger was Ike’s, which, at least once, I have written about in a prior blog. But, a super close runner up for me was one of the burgers from Nu-Way (probably the redneck burger) and the place went on my food bucket list. So that’s why.
Tasty Tuesday – Nu-Way of downtown Spartanburg for a burger.
Sooooooo, where I come from we call this a bar. Anyhow.
Food- Burgers are their specialty. In specific, The Redneck Burger arrives dressed up with lettuce, onion, tomato, mayo, mustard, ketchup, homemade chili, and pimento cheese.
A menu item that is not exactly a unicorn but you don’t see in every hamburger joint is these fried green beans with a side of ranch. They are alright.
MEGathoughts– This place has been around since 1938. Some say it is the original paneling. I also want to mention that this burger and overall the burgers at this “lounge” have won many accolades for their burgers. It has changed hands a few times since 1938 and most recently in 2017. A few of these awards have been a good few years ago. For example, the Food Network spot was in 2010. Garden&Gun Magazine featured a story written by George Singleton entitled “A South Carolina dive with one hell of a burger fuels a writer’s appetite, and his imagination.” I rarely read an interesting restaurant reviews or stories but this one caught my heart. Garden&Gun article on Nu-Way
MEGastars: 4**** for the burgers. This time I align with Trip Advisor except that I loved the burger.
Food 4 Atmosphere 3 Service 3.5 Value 4
- Just in case you didn’t catch it, the title is from Gretchen Wilson’s Redneck Woman. Just in case you didn’t catch it, your redneck skills need some fine-tuning.
- 373 E Kennedy St, Spartanburg, SC 29302-1958
- Go with a full appetite or a family of four. These burgers are huge.
- Check out those fried green beans.
- There is a website, and there isn’t. Here is that link NuWay Contact and Location
- Unlike other places where I come from, the place is closed on Sundays. Here are the hours for the rest of the week. Unlike other places where I come from, the place is closed on Sundays. Here are the hours for the rest of the week.
MON-WED 11:AM-1AMTHUR-11AM-2AMFRI-SAT 11 AM-12AM